Replace layer all sources

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

germane

I'm looking for a script that would help me replace duplicate layer sources that have resulted from combining multiple projects into one.

I've imported about 8 projects into one to have 1 uber project. All of them use the same precomps or solids, etc in their comps, but I've ended up with a precomp folder for each one with the same precomp as the next one. Rather than go down the list of all instances of these precomps in the project window and do a "reveal in comp" and then do an option replace in each occurence, I'd like to find a way to replace them all at once with one set of the precomps.

I hope this makes sense.

-Andrea
kobyg

You could do part of what you want using: File -> Consolidate All Footage
It will search for different instances of the same footage (solids, videos, pics etc) and remove multiple instances of the same footage (footage that has the same exact location in you hard drive).
After that you could use: File -> Remove Unused Footage
in order to remove unused footage and empty folders.

However it will not do that to compositions...
Doing that to compositions is conceptualy problematic, because AE basiclly allows different comps to have the same name, and they could actualy be totaly different !
Therefore AE cannot know which comps to replace with others, just based on name...
(Comps, as opposed to footage, does not have a link to a physical file on you hard drive, therefore does not have a "reference" that can tell it they are actualy the same. They can have the same name, and still be very different)

Koby.