Collect Files takes forever

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

scribling

Does anyone know why AE -- since version 6 -- takes so long to collect files? Depending on how complex the comp, it seems to take longer and longer. I had a comp on Garfield -- the rats -- that was some 100 layers and it took between 40 min to an hour to get the collect dialog box.

If it's checking something ... can we turn it off?
davestewart

Are you on a mac, or a pc? I wrote some files stuff recently that took 10 mins+ on a mac, but about 10 seconds on a PC...
scribling

I'm using a PC that's damn fast ... but it's taking about 15 min to show the collect dialog box. The project only has 2 pieces of footage. As I remember in v5, no matter how complicated or how much footage you had it collected in seconds. This sucks.
Sydway

I also have this problem. We are running dual xeon PCI express machines and the collect files funtion can take up to an hour to occur.

I agree I believe that a script could be writen to minic the function of collect files. i.e. the creation of folder, html doc and the acompaning text files but with out the the pre flight check of the footage.

Just as a side note the same delays can be expierenced during the saving of a file.

later

http://www.plasticwax.com
scribling

I've never had the delay while saving a file, only collecting. I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't take nearly as long to collect if you save, close ae, open the project again then collect.

I had a project while working on Garfield that had ~90 layers or so and took about an hour to collect. Sitting around waiting for ae to collect sucks!