replace footage by comp

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

gui_P

I've a footage (TGA sequence) that I use in dozen of comps and I want to replace this footage by a comp.... how can I do it easily instead of replacing the footage in each comp.

thanks for help...
gui_P
byronnash

Can you be a little more specific? Maybe describe your workflow you want to reproduce in a script.
gui_P

well I'll try to explain. In fact it's not so difficult but my english is very bad

I use the same footage in 20 or more comps. And I have to replace this footage in all those comps. I want to replace it not by another footage (whitch is the replace footage command -- ctrl+H --) but by a comp that exist in my project

so the scrpit must look in all the comps for the original footage and replace it by a precise comp, and of course I want and keep the effect and transform that I've done.

Thanks
gui_P
byronnash

I don't think that would be terribly hard. You could search through the project and find all the places the footage is used and then change the source from the footage to a comp on the layer object. I'll have to check that last part though. If that doesn't work, you could still get it done, it would just take longer to script it.
Paul Tuersley

I think you can do this without a script. If you drag the replacement comp over the footage in the Project window, while holding down the alt/option key, it will replace all instances of the footage with that comp. Not sure how long this has worked, but it does in AE6.5.

Paul T