Script to convert file into AFX

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

Hiji

Hi there guys ^_^
im new to the forum and i find that AE is such a good program to learn and use. and i want to learn more about it but what i wanted i dont think i am capable of doing so im gonna request it here

I was wondering if anyone could program a script that allow to convert a file call SSA into AE and have it preset all the timeline and text ready to be use to style in AE
I've known a few people who have this but they keep it to themselve.

much appreciated if i could get any reply
Thanks!
Paul Tuersley

I googled SSA and came up with this: http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs ... s/ssa.html

So this file format is from Substation Alpha, a subtitling program widely used for fansubbing, is that right? This does look like it could be an interesting scripting challenge, especially if you wanted it for karaoke subtitling as it could automatically lay out all the text and do the animation to highlight each word/syllable correctly.

I'll look into it and see if I can come up with anything, but it may take a while. Is this something anyone else out there would find useful?

Paul T
Hiji

Yeah that is the one people mostly use in fansubbing ^_^
is very useful to us fansubber but i'll be useful to other as well
since they can time the karaoke using SSA and then convert it to AE and do the effect. timing in SSA only take about 20-30min ^_^

thanks for taking a look into this paul
Paul Tuersley

Just to let you know I've posted my first attempt at this script in my scripts section: http://www.aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?t=247
Seems to work pretty well, let me know what you think.

Paul T
Hiji

Hi paul
the script was great. so far there havent been any problem loading it yet.
try out about 10 scripts and it loaded fine with the time and text display.

i was wondering if u could adjust the script.
to be able to have it convert in to a what it is now
but have each syallable into its own layer so u could do effect on it
/me scratches his head..dont know if i can explain probraly.
Paul Tuersley

If you just wanted to apply an effect to just the highlighted text, you could duplicate the SSA_Import layer and add opacity properties to one layer where Default Animator Opacity = 0% and Highlight Animator Opacity = 100%, then do the reverse to the other layer.

This means that the highlight text will just come from one of the layers, so you could apply an effect to just the highlight text.

As for your exact request, you do realise that you would end up with hundreds of text layers? Seems a bit impractical to me, why would you want to do this?

Paul T