creating a trackable mask

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

gibraltar monkey

here's an interesting challenge for someone-

What about a script that accesses roto mask data- translates the positions of the vertices into track points (to be tracked by the user later) which are then re-linked to another identical roto mask using the vertex catalyst node of expression effects?

IE.

User draws a roto bezier mask.

User runs the script which asks them which mask/layer etc.

Script creates X number of track points (X being the number of vertices in the original mask) in the same respective positions as the original mask vertices linked to a roto mask w/ expressions using "vertex catalyst node" on a duplicate footage layer...

I've been able to accomplish this manually, but think it would be a lot easier/ more fun if it was automated... unfortunately i haven't had the time to learn scripting yet.

Think it's possible?

- Ian.
scribling

I can't help with the scripting of this.

But, I'm wondering why you'd do such a thing? Would it basically just duplicate an animated mask onto another layer?
vidpat

I had started working on a script to assist in tracking mask vertices. I ended up taking a different approach for the project as it is difficult to manage and associate all such data through scripting. One particular drawback is the inability to access mask vertices through expressions.

The suggested approach is one possibility.

What do you mean by "vertex catalyst node"?

Perhaps I'll have a chance to revisit this script in the future.
gibraltar monkey

sorry for the confusion-

vidpat - "vertex catalyst node" is an inexpensive third party plugin for after effects that allows you to access mask vertices using expressions- thus giving you the ability to link mask vertices to track points. It's part of a package called expression effects which also gives you the ability to access pixel color data for expressions.

scribling - it duplicates an unanimated mask onto a separate layer that then can be tracked.

i'll try to put together some screen grabs when i have a chance to illustrate the idea better.

- ian.
Mylenium

gibraltar monkey wrote: vidpat - "vertex catalyst node" is an inexpensive third party plugin for after effects that allows you to access mask vertices using expressions- thus giving you the ability to link mask vertices to track points. It's part of a package called expression effects which also gives you the ability to access pixel color data for expressions.
You should talk past tense - nobody knows where Bresnev Shu has retreated to and so his plugins are no longer available. This alone renders any effort to integrate them in a set of scripts/ expressions pointless (unless, of course, they pop up again some place), at least in the way of making this a public effort.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
gibraltar monkey

Actually he hasn't disappeard- you can still get the effects from kagi-

https://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=HTN&&

We had a project over the summer where we needed to write an expression based on color pixel values. It took us a couple of days to find him but when we did he was incredibly helpful troubleshooting our project! I can't speak highly enough of him.

Recently I've been doing a lot of tracking and rotoscoping. I love after effect's rotoscoping tool simply for it's ability to edit points in a layer (automatically zooming as you edit the point). Linking a mask's points to track points, I think, has the potential of turning after effects into an incredibly powerful rotoscoping tool.

As far as the script goes, I was reading the manual a bit the other night and the only thing i can't figure out is if it is possible to place location specific track points using a script, if not, this script request is obsolete.

- Ian.
Mylenium

gibraltar monkey wrote:Actually he hasn't disappeard- you can still get the effects from kagi-

https://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=HTN&&
That's cool thaugh the price is rather high there... As far as I recall it cost only 69 USD at some point.

edit:

Ah nah, even they don't have the real address of the guy which makes this a rather ominous thing.

Mylenium
gibraltar monkey

Yes, the price went up since i bought the effects in june, which is unfortunate.

But my friend got in touch with the developer through contacts at adobe. The developer then sent us the link to the kagi site. I hope this dispells any doubt of the source.

To get back on topic, does anyone know if it is possible to place location specific track points in a single tracker using scripting?
Mylenium

gibraltar monkey wrote:Yes, the price went up since i bought the effects in june, which is unfortunate.

But my friend got in touch with the developer through contacts at adobe. The developer then sent us the link to the kagi site. I hope this dispells any doubt of the source.

To get back on topic, does anyone know if it is possible to place location specific track points in a single tracker using scripting?
Sorry for pestering you, but any chance you could give me that contact? I have some questions and would be obliged. Also: How is it handled?. I could find the demo versions of the tools some while ago, but if his site is no longer online, how in hell do you register?

Mylenium
mattybennett

Ok Ian,

This is pretty similar to the module I'm trying to build. I'm have a motion estimation equation which I'm trying to turn into a rotoscoping solution becuase the pixel tracker in AE I feel isn't up to scratch.

I'm often working with low res b/w footage (luma only), so get awful tracking results. A planar tracker such as Boujou or Mokey isn't that much better either.

What I'm planning to do is to track a bezier vector mask over the course of the shot.

Have you got any further in your project and do you have any ideas for mine? I'm new to AE's API, so still learning the ropes and boy! this is quite a challenge for a first-attempt project.

Please give me an email - it would be great to hear from you.

Also, if there are any API experts who can help I am looking for a freelance programmer to help me with this bit (esp as C++ is not my field. I may be an IT teacher but we don't tend to teach C++ in schools nowadays....)

Best regards,

Matthew
Matthew