Script to create multiple still images from multiple compositions.

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

Kozy

Hi guys. I have used AE to build a virtual studio for my artwork products, and I am looking to automate part of the extremely repetitive process of rendering each set of images.

To give a bit of background, my main day job is creating automotive blueprint artwork, which is then laser engraved on brushed aluminium. In my render studio, I have created compositions consisting of a combination of photos of blank plaques and fully rendered scenes, over which the base AI artwork files are laid.

At the moment there are 5 compositions, which render a total of 8 stills. I would like to develop a script that automates this process, essentially starting at Comp1 > Render Still > Move to Comp2 > Render Still, Move to Comp3 > Render still etc.

I have a reasonable amount of experience in coding, but not a great deal with Javascript, and I have never written anything for AE before. I am not looking for someone to write a script for me, but I would very much appreciate some pointers on how to get the end result that I am looking for!

I guess the first question is, can scripts do what I want?