Autostart watch folder on RE version

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

Videodok

Hi,

It is possible to start the watchfolder automaticly on a full version of AEFX 6.5 but when using the RE version this doesn't work because you can't open a project. How can I achieve this so when the render machine reboots the watch folder is started automaticly
myronpro

In OSX go into System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items. Add that drive that contains your watch folder(if its not local) and the AE Render Engine. Then create a .jsx script to start watch folder mode and save the script in the Application/sAdobe After Effects CS3/Scripts/Startup Folder. Here's the code for the script:
[code]
var theFolder = new Folder("../../../../../VOLUMES/RENDER FARM/AE8 Watch Folder");
app.watchFolder(theFolder);[/code]

Note: "RENDER FARM/AE8" Watch Folder is unique to my system, you'll have to use the Drive/Folder names from your render farm.

Also the "../" tells the script to go up 1 branch on the directory tree. The script looks for the Watch folder from the Scripts/Startup folder. It goes up 5 folders before it gets to the root of the hard drive then branches off to the Volumes directory. If you move the script to a different folder, you must modify the path in the script accordingly.
ymmij

myronpro wrote:In OSX go into System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items. Add that drive that contains your watch folder(if its not local) and the AE Render Engine. Then create a .jsx script to start watch folder mode and save the script in the Application/sAdobe After Effects CS3/Scripts/Startup Folder. Here's the code for the script:

Code: Select all

var theFolder = new Folder("../../../../../VOLUMES/RENDER FARM/AE8 Watch Folder"); 
app.watchFolder(theFolder);
Note: "RENDER FARM/AE8" Watch Folder is unique to my system, you'll have to use the Drive/Folder names from your render farm.

Also the "../" tells the script to go up 1 branch on the directory tree. The script looks for the Watch folder from the Scripts/Startup folder. It goes up 5 folders before it gets to the root of the hard drive then branches off to the Volumes directory. If you move the script to a different folder, you must modify the path in the script accordingly.
Got it all working....great. Only flaw in the plan is that the watch folder starts up with both the render engine version and the normal version of AE. Is there a way for this to only effect the render engine version?

Secondly, the render engine version always opens up as a small window in the top left of may screen. Is there a way to force it to open automatically to full screen. Have to be able to see the progress of the renders, and can't see this with the small window.

Thanks
sophocles

I am having a problem with this script.

Although it opens the watch folder window, it doesn't actually seem to be watching - there is no "Search will occur in _ seconds." And it doesn't find anything placed in the folder, so I assume something is wrong.

This is what I've been looking for; I've had the network drive and the AE RE auto starting for a while, but have been baffled how to get the watch folder automated. Seems like for the RE this should be a standard.

AE CS3, Mac OS 10.4.11

Thanks