Assign masks to AI layers

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

thomaskiel

Hi folks,

a scripting newbie needs help!

I've got to process Illustrator files containing drawings which I want to animate sketch-style. I distributed the paths in the AI file to one layer each, imported the AI into AE as a comp. In addition, I copied the original AI paths into a solid as masks. So, now I've got the comp with the graphics layers and the layer containing the same paths as masks.

What I would like to do now is to access every single mask in the mask layer and assign that path to the corresponding layer in the AI comp. As the drawings will contain up to a few hundred paths, I don't wanna do all the work by hand...

Is there some way to do this in a script?
byronnash

What do you mean by?
assign that path to the corresponding layer in the AI comp"
Mylenium

byronnash wrote:What do you mean by?
assign that path to the corresponding layer in the AI comp"
He wants to copy back his masks back onto the original Illustrator layer, matching the positions and intersection behaviors as they were created in Illu. I have no idea what he hopes to achieve which couldn't be done otherwise, but that's how I understand the request.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
thomaskiel

Damn right, that's what I'm up to. And if there's a simpler way to do it without all the layer hassle, I'll be glad to hear it.

The point about this is the intersections. I need to animate the strokes without one stroke already revealing portions of the crossing lines that should still be invisible. That's why I came up with splitting the AI doc into one layer per stroke, and that's why I could use a script for handling the mask distribution in AE.

To give you an idea of the look and the complexity of the drawings, here is an example. I know that it's going to be shitloads of masks, but I want to have a go at it anyway.
Mylenium

thomaskiel wrote: To give you an idea of the look and the complexity of the drawings, here is an example. I know that it's going to be shitloads of masks, but I want to have a go at it anyway.
You're doing this in AE? Respect.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]