Redirecting file paths

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

thomaskiel

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on a compositing job that involves loads of 3d render layers (IFF sequences) organized in different subfolders. That means, each time I'm setting up a new comp, I'll take my standard comp setup and manually replace the footage items in the project window with new items carrying the same name, but originating from a different folder on my harddisk.

I'd love to have a script that could do that job for me, i.e. automating the "replace footage" task by just redirecting the file path to another folder, without changing the actual name of the image sequence. Is there something that's been posted before that I could try to modify? I've done a fair amount of expression work, but I'm a total noob when it comes to AE scripting.

I'd be totally happy if anybody could help me out with anything...
redefinery

thomaskiel wrote:I'd love to have a script that could do that job for me, i.e. automating the "replace footage" task by just redirecting the file path to another folder, without changing the actual name of the image sequence.
hi thomaskiel,

i'm not sure if someone has already written such a script, but the basics should be similar to the following...

Code: Select all

newFolderPath = new Folder("/c/users/thomaskiel/new folder location");
// fi = FootageItem that you want to replace
fi.replaceWithSequence(new File(newFolderPath.fsName + "/" + fi.file.name),true);
if you're looking for a baked script to do everything (prompt for a new folder location, loop through all selected footage sequences, etc.), i can add it to my to-do list, but can't promise anything immediate.

:jeff
poki

Hi Jeff

Did you write script with 'prompt/browse for the new folder location' and 'prompt for the new file name'?

If you know any solution/script please let me know

Thanks
lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

I am currently working on a script that provides a very flexible interface to do this. Let me know if you would like to beta test it. You can send me a PM with your email address.

-Lloyd