RELIGHTING

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

fktp

Hello gentlemen,

I'm looking for a way to take advantage of a normal pass to relight a beauty render inside AE.
I know few plugins to do it but i would love to achieve it by using only After effect's default properties.

Basically, I'm thinking about using red green and Blue data of the normal pass (respectively X Y and Z orientation of the normal surface) to alter the gamma of a beauty pass and fake the illumination look.

The easier way I found to do it, was to just put the beauty pass in the bottom of a comp, and duplicate it six times with apply a cache effect (using Red, green and blue as a cache, and three times more with negative Red, negative Green and negative Blue as a cache.)

The next step was to apply a level effect on each six layer to level down the gamma and make the component dark. In using the transparency amount, i can darker or not the original beauty pass and fake the relightning.

But it miss something: plug the intensity of transparency of each six components to a null.
In other terms, i'm searching a way to wire X, Y, Z, -X, -Y and -Z to the position of a null.
I guess it's a vector question, but have no clue to do it.
Anyone would have any idea about this?

For those are curious, i have put in attachement the aep and sources.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
fktp-relight.rar
(190.95 KiB) Downloaded 840 times