Custom pillar boxing script?

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

keihatsu

I've been trying the past few days, checking Dan Ebbert's website, and taking his tutorials, Creative Cow, and looking the After Effects CS3 scripting guide. But I am having trouble writing my own scripts, and hoping someone can help me out.

I am basically trying to pillar box alot of different kinds of clips of various kinds like flv, mp4, h264 and sizes, 800x600, 1024x768, and different frame rates.

Basically I've been doing by hand and these are the steps I was taking.

1 - Open the file in After Effects, and drag the movie to the new composition icon.

2 - Adjust the composition settings using a preset that I made, that changes the width, height, and FPS.

3 - Add a white solid that is the same size as the comp, and I move this to the back.

4 - Scale the movie I brought it, so that it's height matches the new comp size, and it retains it's aspect ratio. (This is how I am getting the pillar boxing)

5 - Add an adjustment layer, and sharpen by 5.

6 - I drag the comp to the render queue, with Render Settings - Best Settings, Log - Errors only, Output Module - My custom setting, Output - To Desktop.

So with each clip, I am doing this one by one. And I looked into scripting because a friend of mine thought I was crazy for doing all these clips individually, and recommended I look into scripting.

Thanks for your help and in the mean time, I'll be doing a bunch of these by hand, since I have a deadline to meet! :D
Yenaphe

Okay, that shouldn't really be hard to do.

First of all, where is your script failing ?
keihatsu

Yenaphe wrote:Okay, that shouldn't really be hard to do.

First of all, where is your script failing ?
It's not so much as the script failing, is what the name of each property or action I am trying to do.

I have done some programming in the past, but I am by no means an expert. So I have been looking at other scripts and tutorials to try and mash something together.

The most that I actually did was make a script that makes a new comp to what I would want it to be and add a solid.

But that's pretty much it.

I don't know how to have the script go through each individual movie, if I bring it 20 movies for example, and make a comp out of it, and to do the steps that I usually do manually above.