To rhythm a video according to a sound

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

BlueMan1

I did what was said in the first post using the engligh tranlation. I get "AfterEffects Warning: function timeToFrames is undefined. Error occured at line 1. Expression is disabled"

this is only my second time working with expressions. so dont be rude if i forgot something really obvious.
trioptic

Next step is to apply three times the "Slider Control" effect to the Video layer you want to affect. Name them : "frequence min", "frequence max" and "frames"
this is the only part I am not following:

so you copy the Slider and paste it 3 times into the video layer, or do you duplicate the layer with the slider 3 times?

and then, since they are all copies, what makes Min Frequency diff than Max, and Frames?

How is AE detecting frequency without Trapcode Soundkeys?

If someone could post either an after effects project file, or a few screenshots for us, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have used other time-remap techniques, but this one looks really cool. I just cant figure out how to apply it, and I have tried a few times over the past 4 months with this same exact tutorial.
trioptic

also:
apply three times the "Slider Control" effect to the Video layer
that makes it sound like you are Multiplying a value by 3 the way it's worded, just figured I would add that.
Disciple

trioptic wrote:
Next step is to apply three times the "Slider Control" effect to the Video layer you want to affect. Name them : "frequence min", "frequence max" and "frames"
this is the only part I am not following:

so you copy the Slider and paste it 3 times into the video layer, or do you duplicate the layer with the slider 3 times?
Well, as it says, paste the Slider three times.
and then, since they are all copies, what makes Min Frequency diff than Max, and Frames?
Just their names
How is AE detecting frequency without Trapcode Soundkeys?
With the "convert audio to keyframes" assistant
Disciple

trioptic wrote:also:
apply three times the "Slider Control" effect to the Video layer
that makes it sound like you are Multiplying a value by 3 the way it's worded, just figured I would add that.
How is that? A Slider control is not a specific value, it can hold any "slidable" value, i.e any value you want the slider to control.

HTH

Alex
trioptic

thanks for a reply..

one more question:

if all 3 sliders are the same, except for their names, why not just use one slider?
trioptic

is this 6.5?
Disciple

Because each slider will represent a different value....

6.5 is probably not mandatory for this expression, but for scripts and for a lot of cool new stuff, it is.

Alex
trioptic

got it.. you know what was throwing me off is that you are not analyzing the frequency, you are analyzing the amplitude..

and I wasn't getting why you would make 3 sliders, when you could just define the limits in the code itself.

thanks for this, I plan to work on your script and make some new stuff out of it.
afaj

hey, new guy here.

Really cool, but like Martin said, it would be great if there were a tutorial on the practical side of using this expression.

Anybody know?
o

this is great.
thanks!!!! :D
araknia

here's some tips on getting this to werk-
t=timeToFrames(inPoint);i=0;
while(timeToFrames()>=t)
{
min=effect("frequence min")(1).valueAtTime(framesToTime(t));
max=effect("frequence max")(1).valueAtTime(framesToTime(t));
a=effect("frames")(1).valueAtTime(framesToTime(t));
f=thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")(1).valueAtTime(framesToTime(t));
if(f>=min && f<=max){i+=1-a}
t++;
}
timeRemap.valueAtTime(time-framesToTime(i))

To recapitulate the usefull help put on this thread already:
1. Add music to comp first,
2. Select Menu 'Animation' - apply the Keyframe Assist - Convert audio to keyframes.
3. Add your videoclip to comp, disable its audio track, or you will hear strange clicks on final render.
4. Select the video layer in the comp, then select the menu 'Effects' - Expression Controls - Slider control ; you can set the effects layer name by hitting the enter key, if you are new to AE this should help. Rename the first Slider Control to frequence max.
5. Repeat step 4, naming the next Slider to 'frequence min'
6. Do step 4 again, name slider 'frames'.

7; Observe the "Audio Amplitude" keyframes layer created from your music track layer. you can expand the effects sub-levels to see the slider level called "Both Channels" . You can see a graph which corresponds to the audio of the music layer waveform.
8. Set the 'frequence max' effect slider you added to your video track to the peak value you observed in step 7, on my audio this was ~55.0 , then set frequence min to about 40.0 this gives enough animation effect for my liking. I set frames slider to -3.0.

Have fun
:wink:
sqpixels

This is cool! Thanks for sharing!
YB34

slt oscarus

voila un super effet :)

peux-tu faire un fichier démo .aep ? stp

si tu as d'autres trucs de ce genre MP moi merci

------------------

hi oscarus

nice effect

can you to do a exemple in .aep ? plz
mastral

What would you say I give it 5 stars.
Please consider that it is slooow to render.

I use a 1.6 Ghz processor with 256 RAM.

But besides that I see no drawbacks in the procedure.

Cheers and thanks, Khalid