Pixie Army - Color Matrix Displacer

All things .jsx

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

jaist

Hi!
After the end of a project i was working on i decided to post the script i developed for it. We had ten days to complete 128 shots, and without the help of this script we'd be done for now :)

You can see the end result here: http://www.bonsaininja.com/caparezza
We used it to create the backgrounds for the band's playback.

It's basically a dynamic color matrix extruder. It divides a layer into a matrix of solids and colors the solids with the average colors in their position. Then displaces the solids in the z direction (positive or negative) based on its luminance value.
It reacts to HDR images and 32 bit (so dofs with the camera are more glowish and cooler and blurs are a lot better and other things as well), and can be clamped if desired. You can set the clamping, the max displacement and the direction interactively or not (depend on the chosen mode: fast mode prevents interaction and gives a bit more speed)
The other settings are pretty straightforward.

I'm hoping that this will pick someone's interest and help me develop it a little more than now, like with a dockable panel and more options and more speed...
I should thank you all for the support you're giving to the AE community!

EDIT: i've fixed the Fast Mode problem. Now it works correctly, it's just super slow :)

Max
pixie_army.zip
Download Pixie Army 0.9!
(42.94 KiB) Downloaded 2115 times
Last edited by jaist on December 11th, 2008, 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Max Pareschi Director | VFX supervisor | CG Artist & Designer | Bonsaininja Studio
jaist

c'mon at least one reply :)
Max Pareschi Director | VFX supervisor | CG Artist & Designer | Bonsaininja Studio
kobyg

I've just checked it, and it looks awsome !
Great work !
I Loved the progress bar too... :)

What should be the difference at the FAST mode ?

Koby.
jaist

The difference should be that without the fast mode check you can interactively set the MaxDisplace, the Clamping and the Zdirection as Expression Controls inside the null controller.
But at some point it stopped working and now it's locked in fast mode dammit, i don't know why.
Thanks Koby!
jaist

I've fixed it, it was so simple i overlooked the problem a dozen times ;)
Let me know what you think!
kobyg

I get an error message:
"Unable to execute script at line 19. Expected : ]"
jaist

download again, fixed that too :)
kobyg

Works great now !
Love it !
Thank you for sharing !

Koby
cris

What is this supposed to do?? It created a grid and thats all. How do you get it to work or is it unable to work in CS5.5