Renderfarm Script

All things .jsx

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

ajk48n

This is a script to assist in setting up files to be rendered over a network on a renderfarm.

Unzip the attached file, and you should find:
Render_to_Renderfarm.jsx
Renderfarm_Settings.ars
Renderfarm_Output_Module.aom
touchFiles.sh
com.graphics.AFXRenderfarmWatch.plist

Here are the basics to using the script. More details are within Render_to_Renderfarm.jsx. Please ask if you have any more questions.
This has been used extensively on a 10 machine setup with all computers running Mac OSX 10.4 and 10.5.

1: All files that are used in your project must be located on a computer that all render machines can see.

2: Add the Renderfarm_Settings.ars and Renderfarm_Output_Module.aom to your After Effects render templates

3: Add compositions to the render queue as normal, and choose where they will render.

4: Edit the variable renderfarm_location defined below. It is where the renderfarm files will be located, and it should be located on a server that all machines can access.

5: OPTIONAL -- This step depends on if you are running at Mac OSX 10.4. See Note 1 in Render_to_Renderfarm.jsx for further details.
Copy touchFiles.sh to /usr/bin and com.graphics.AFXRenderFarmWatch.plist to /Library/LaunchDaemons on all machines that will be rendering

6: Run the script.

7: A dialog will appear asking if your render folder(s) be seen by all computers?
If the location you will render to is accessible to all computers that will be rendering, click yes. If not, the script will make the folders necessary for rendering to occur, and all final renders
will be located in a folder "Renders" in your renderfarm directory

8: After you run the script, take any computers you want to render the project, and choose File-->Watch Folder, and select the After Effects renderfarm folder you specified below.

Please let me know about any problems you may be having, or any general comments,

Adam
Attachments
Render_to_Renderfarm.zip
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 1398 times
Last edited by ajk48n on June 10th, 2009, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajk48n

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had tried using this script, and met with success or failure. I need to get this ready for other people at my job to use it, and was hoping for some feedback if instructions were somewhat easy to understand, or problems I didn't document, etc.

thanks for any help
Yenaphe

I'm off work for several weeks, and won't be able to test on a render farm sadly.