Script launcher!

All things .jsx

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

SpencerT

Hey guys I'm really excited about this script and wanted to share it. I just threw this together this morning, so there's always the possibility it has a few quirks - but I haven't run into any yet.

I'm a long time Nuke user and I love the tab shortcut which allows you to drop nodes in really quickly, so I got very excited when I saw Andrew Kramer created the FX Console script to do much the same thing. However it only supports CC, and doesn't work with scripts (yet anyway...). So I took it upon myself to create my own little script launcher tool and as always I'm throwing it out here for free!

Tutorial:
  • Assign this script to a shortcut (google it if you don't know how).
  • Run the script and you will get your list of scripts (see below to create the list). Start typing to narrow down the results. In theory the text box will be automatically selected when you run the script, but I've noticed a bug with this (nothing I know how to fix, it seems to be an extendscript thing).
  • At any time hit tab and use your arrow keys to select a script.
  • Hit alt+e to run the script.
  •      Alternatively you can click on a script at any time to launch it right away.
  •      Of course you can also click "execute" to run the currently highlighted script.
To add scripts you will need to edit the code directly (sorry, I'm lazy).
At the top of my script you will see an array called "scriptsArray" with some files in there that I have set-up for myself. You should be able to figure out pretty easily how to delete mine and add your own, post a comment if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help you out. It doesn't matter where the scripts are - they don't have to be installed in your After Effects folder (as you can see mine are on another drive. This could also be a network location if you're in a studio!).
In a future version I'm thinking of making this automatically scan a folder and add all scripts in there so that it is "dynamic" but I haven't gotten to that yet.

WARNING:
I'm not a professional coder and I don't get paid to do this, so I've only had time to test it on my machine with my setup - which means Windows 7, After Effects CS6. I do have CC but don't use it, so I haven't bothered to make it work in CC yet (or test it). At some point I will switch over and if Andrew Kramer hasn't added script support to FX Console then I'll probably modify this one to work in CC... Let me know if you run into problems or want CC support, I might get around to it sooner.

- Spencer
Attachments
ST Script Launcher.zip
(991 Bytes) Downloaded 1509 times