Magnum - The Edit Detector

All things .jsx

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

This script automatically detects edits in footage. To use it you simply select a footage layer in a comp, set the work area to the region you’d like to find edit and tell Magnum to go to work! Magnum can then split the layer at each edit point or set layer markers where the edits are.

Download Magnum - The Edit Detector
Disciple

I love the idea. How do you actually get the script to detect cuts? I mean, what is the script looking for in the footage?

Thanks!
Alex
lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

Glad you like it. I actually made a point of commenting the script thoroughly so that you can follow along if you want, but the basic trick is to duplicate the layer on top of itself, slide it back 1 frame and set the transfer mode to difference. I then use sampleImage (which is why the script is CS3 compatible only) to evaluate the current frame and compare it to the one before. If the difference is higher than the user defined threshold, I determine that it's a cut. It works surprisingly well, I've tested in on a wide range of footage and it's success rate is over 98%.. the 2% of times that it doesn't detect it correctly, it gets it right after adjusting the detect level slider.
nab

zooper script Image

and one of my favorite american series...Zeus, Apollo !