AE CS3 Shortcut Keys reference

All things .jsx

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

vfxman

Hi all,

First off I want to thank Paul Tuersley for all of his help and expertise.

I feel that this script is in a form now that is ready for release. This may not clean up your bins, build a cool effect or create any eye candy for that matter, but I believe is a very useful and practical tool. Every AE artist has always done the search for that new hotkey that will speed that one task up for them at some point in their career. I as well have done it many times and thought wouldn't it be nice to have access to that buried list of hotkeys at all times. Well now you can in AE CS3 (didn't seem to work on my AE 7 so no guarantee's there, sorry).

This script will load the "Adobe After Effects 8.0 Shortcuts" text file and place it into a drop down list button. Having it in a drop down list will conserve precious screen space and keep things looking nice in your interface. Like all drop down lists you can select any single item in that list. The advantage to this is that when you select an item it will remain viewable in the button. This will save you from having to write it down, or thinking fast to memorize it, etc...

Placing it in the ScriptUI Panels folder in the Adobe > Scripts folder will make it dockable otherwise it will be a floating window. It looks nicer docked in my opinion and keeps things organized. :)

– For the newbie AE users this is a great way to start learning those shortcut keys.
– For the veteran AE users this can remind you what you customized a key to.
– Great way to see what IS customizable. (WARNING! ALWAYS DO A SEARCH WHEN CUSTOMIZING KEYS TO MAKE SURE NO OTHER ITEM HAS THE SAME KEY COMBO. Don't blame me if you screw things up. :) )

If you want/need to customize your keys the default locations of the file is:
Mac (Users > "username" > Library > Preferences > Adobe > After Effects > 8.0
Pc ( C > Documents and Settings > "username" > Application Data > Adobe > After Effects > 8.0
WARNING! ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THIS FILE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY BEFORE YOU ALTER THINGS! (again, don't blame me if you screw things up. :) )

The script can be downloaded here:
Works best if you right click on the link and "Save Link As" (pc "Save As")
http://www.sydefxink.com/aescripts/Shor ... erence.jsx
vfxman

I've had a few people elsewhere prefer a scroll version, so I re-updated it with the original listbox code that Paul worked out for me. You have two options now. :)

http://www.sydefxink.com/aescripts/Shor ... istbox.jsx