The hip bones connected to the...thigh bone....the....

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

mooter

Hello I am wondering if this is possible, I have the theory but not sure if AE is able to do it.
I've created a guy in illustrator with separate layers of head, neck, torso, arms, hands, hip, thighs, calves and shoes so I could animate them in AE (Yes if I knew flash I woul do it in their but I love AE anyway...)

I was wondering if I could express some sort of chain reaction with the body parts; I've parented each one to the next appropraite .ie shoe->calf->thigh etc.
So if I were to move the shoe-lift & rotate, it would trigger the calf (with, lets's say, a 2 frame delay) which would in turn trigger the thigh to the next. Not only that, would it be possible for that expression to create the opposite xy movement with the opposite counterpart. ->If I rotate the the right shoe clockwise and raise, the left shoe rotates counterclockwise and lowers. So the left would oppose the right.
I'm thinking there would have to be a threshold of coordinates for each one to trigger the next.

If anyone wants me to upload the ai and aep I can.
And is this the best forum to ask this?

Thanks alot,
Jason
Disciple

Wouldn't this be inverse kinematics? I'm sure there are loads of recipes to do this around the web. I know there is one in the Total Training DVD for After Effects, set 3 ( the one that covers Expressions).
I'm sure Dan Ebberts has something down his sleeve too.
Check Motionscript.com maybe?