"this" syntax for paint strokes?

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

byronnash

I have a simple expression linking the clone position of a paint stroke to the transform of the paint stroke. Right now I have it set as

Code: Select all

p=effect("Paint").stroke("LL").transform.position;
but I would like to have something more like

p=this.transform.position;
When I use the second line it takes the position of the layer not the stroke. Is there a way to use "this" so I can avoid having to hard code the stroke name in the expression? I have to dupe this stroke lots of times and it would save me some time.
Paul Tuersley

Try this:

propertyGroup(2).transform.position;
byronnash

Thanks, that worked. Why Property Group 2? Is there an explanation of that in the docs?
Paul Tuersley

Yes, it's in the "After Effects expression elements reference" section under "Property attributes and methods". Or just do a search for "propertyGroup". I'm surprised you couldn't find it. ;)

You're basically moving twice back up the propertyGroup heirachy. You start at Clone Position, back up once to Stroke Options, then again to this clone stroke's main group (Clone 1 or whatever), and from there you go forward through to Transform > Position.

To check I was doing it right, I linked the property to a text layer and used this expression on the Source Text property:

a = thisComp.layer("Black Solid").effect("Paint").stroke("Clone 1").strokeOption.clonePosition;
a.propertyGroup(2).name;
Paul
byronnash

Thanks for the explanation. I've glossed over it before but it's one of those topics I have a hard time getting my head around for some reason.