Best way for moving a camera

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

ccf

Hi guys:

Sometimes moving a camera in a comp is a little of pain.
I have tested some different ways, moving the camera itselft, parenting it to a null, parenting the point of interest of the camera to the position to a null, using the preset separate X,Y,Z in a null, and really sometimes is difficult to control different movements, does everybody knows a proved and easy way to control the 3 axis? , I have heard people parenting the camera to a null for the 3 axis, and this one to another master null, I know there are plenty of ways, but I´m looking for the one who offers the best results. Maybe using expressions for the 3 axis in a null would be possible ? or using an script or a preset ?

Thanks in advance for any idea or advice.

CCF
Atomic

When I animate the camera, I select the camera layer and press the P-KEY and then hold shift and press the A-KEY. This brings up the position and point of interest parameters. I turn on the stop watch for both of them.

Then I just animate as normal, recording two keyframes for each move via the C-KEY. I find that if I don't record the point of interest, the camera is much more difficult to predict. I guess that is what the parenting to a null technique is all about, easier control. But if you just parent to a null, you loose some of the finess.(IMHO)

Typically I try to keep camera moves to as few key frames as possible. This is generally three keyframes (for each parameter). But if I need a hold in between, I end up with four to establish a move and hold it. Then to move on I use another three.
"Up And Atom

No...No

Up And At Them!"
ccf

Atomic:

You are right. I do the same as you. One of the main problems using a camera for me, is the point of interest, when you orbit with a camera around an object, inmediately you think you did a wonderful job, fantastic, but when you review the thing, you realize is not as you think, because the camera rotate itselft at any point, mainly when is close to the object, so you have to retouch the point of interest, that´s a pain, I didn´t find another solution for this, just to retouch by hand, do you have an advice for this???

CCF
lam442

Like you said there are many methods...proven? it really depend on your perspective. Here's a useful like over at mograph's forum :D

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8066
)orgen

haven't tried out this yet...but looks interesting

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/ad ... mera_tips/
Disciple

You guys do know you can get rid of the point of interest all together right?

context click on cam->transform->auto-orient set to none
ccf

Disciple>

I will test it and later I will tell my results.

Thanks for your time and the other guys.

CCF
ccf

Lam442:

Good link. Some advices to test. I will do, principally parenting the point of interest to the position to the camera itself, using the camera parented to one null for main movements and parenting this one to another null for master and turning off auto orient in the camera, and advice Disciple post it.

Regards
ccf

Disciple:

Your advice to turn off the auto orientation of the camera has been excellent, because now my camera is always parented to my position, indeed working with the point of interest is in must of the cases a good pain.

Thank you very much

CCF