Link Opactiy to Solo Switch

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

motionbear

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of an expression to link the opacity of a layer to another layers solo switch!? Any ideas?? So if I switch the ctrl layer to solo the other layer should have 100%opacity or 0 if solo is off. Thank you!
Paul Tuersley

I don't think expressions have access to a layer's solo state. You can use the "enabled" attribute to check if it is turned on, for example this expression applied to a layer's opacity property:

Code: Select all

if (thisComp.layer("Control Layer").enabled) 100;
else 0;
Unfortunately this doesn't appear to update correctly when you change the video switch on the Control Layer, meaning you'd need to do a Edit > Purge All or something to invalidate the cache each time. So you're probably better off just linking to the Control Layer's opacity.

But I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do. You say "if I switch the ctrl layer to solo the other layer should have 100% opacity or 0 if solo is off" but surely if the ctrl layer is solo'ed then the other layers won't be visible even with 100% opacity?
motionbear

Hey Paul,

thank you!! This one will help me! Problem is - I can not link to ctrl-layer's opacity, because I use that one to build a sinus for subcomp layers opacity....It is really difficult. That linking to Solo or now visible is just for project management. So is perfect right now. Thank you!