CC Sphere camera-rotation "Bug"

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

Jorritschulte

Hi,

when i apply the expressions

lookAt(thisComp.activeCamera.toWorld([0,0,0]),position)[0] to the X rotation in CC Sphere
lookAt(thisComp.activeCamera.toWorld([0,0,0]),position)[1] to the Y rotation in CC Sphere
lookAt(thisComp.activeCamera.toWorld([0,0,0]),position)[2] to the Z rotation in CC Sphere

it seems to work fine at first, but when he camera goes too far in Y Space, the rotation snaps

how do i fix this?

thanks!
kobyg

Can't understand your problem...
Could you post a project file showing the problem ?

Koby.
Jorritschulte

Here ya go, its pretty weird...
Attachments
CCSphereExpresionSAYWAAT.zip
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 1026 times
kobyg

I saw it.
It's not the expression's fault... It's not a bug.
The problem is the orientation of the camera in respect to it's anchor point. That is what's making the twist.
If you'll put a 3d solid below the sphere you will see that this solid would do the same weird twist rotation...
You could also see it if you choose the camera and watch it in a Custom View (F11).
That's not because of the large Y value. It's because you go from a negative to positive Z and Y, which makes the camera flip.

I don't know what's the final effect you want to create, but I would try changing the animation of the camera
(maybe change the keyframes, or use the Null parenting technique and rotate the null).

Koby.
Jorritschulte

aaaah, i see of cource :wink:

i've been playing around trying to make it work for only X and Y, so the Z rotation doesnt get affected by the camera
Can anyone give me a hand with that?

Thanks!