color offset and expressions

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

silencer777

Hi

I have a question regarding expressions and colors in AE.

What I'd like to do is to be able to link a color value from one property to another and have some form of controlled offset.

Say for instance that I have a color slot of red. I link another color property to it and have the exact same red. Now I would like to have it a bit more/less saturated , a slight variation of hue or a different color value but still linked to the original red. So when I change my master color slot it is handed down to the expressions in my comp. How would you go about setting up such an expression and have controlled over how I make my offset.

I can multiply the whole value(*1,5) and I get a different result but I am not quite sure what is happening.

Thanks a bunch, been thinking about this for quite some time.
lloydalvarez
Enhancement master

Colors are stored in RGB so if you want to adjust the saturation you need to convert the color to HSL first, adjust the saturation then convert it back to RGB. There's built in functions to do both of this convertions.

Lloyd
silencer777

Thank you so much for pointing me into the right direction. Figured out how to use them. This will be super handy in future work. Thank you lloyd and to your support for the community.