Accessing text properties

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

spoox

I am trying to figure out if it is possible from an expression to access 2 text properties:

1. If a bounding box is enabled, and if so, its size (width/height). I.e NOT .sourceRectAtTime() but the constraining box that wraps and limits the size of the text.

2. The paragraph alignment setting, i.e. left / center / right / justify last left / justify last right / justify all

So far it seems this is not accessible, as I do not get anywhere fiddling around with theTextLayer.Text.sourceText or theTextLayer("Text")("Source Text"). I see there is a .numProperties but there is no .property() function to access anything, so I am assuming that's the parent's property count.

Text layers apparently do not have any .source either, so there's no way of getting there that way...
Dan Ebberts

I'm afraid you're out of luck. You can poke around a little with source text expressions like this:

prop = text;
prop.numProperties;

or,

prop = text;
prop(3)(1).name

But I don't think you'll find anything helpful. Different story with scripting though...

Dan
spoox

Aha, but that was quite helpful actually at least in understanding how to iterate over the properties - it wasn't apparent how the relation to .numProperties and .(1..numProperties) worked.

For what I am doing I should be able to just write a script that will add the expression to the layer anyhow (if that is possible), that can inspect the values at design-time and just insert them into the expression. If not, I will just have to make these configuration options at the top of the expression..
spoox

As a side note: interestingly enough I did not actually need access to these properties, as I only needed to take into account the .left and .top aspects of the rect returned by sourceRectAtTime(). :)