light transmission

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

pants

I have a comp where 10 solids are accepting an image through light transmission. Is there a way to sequentially flip each solid 180 degrees to reveal a different source image? I'm trying to not have the source change globally at one moment, but sequentially, one solid at a time.

I could nest a copy of the comp, replace the transmitted source image and trim layers as they flip, but I have a lot of these to animate and I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.

Is there a way to group several solids to only accept one light, and a second group to only accept a second light, all living in the same comp?

thanks,
Mylenium

pants wrote:I have a comp where 10 solids are accepting an image through light transmission. Is there a way to sequentially flip each solid 180 degrees to reveal a different source image? I'm trying to not have the source change globally at one moment, but sequentially, one solid at a time.

I could nest a copy of the comp, replace the transmitted source image and trim layers as they flip, but I have a lot of these to animate and I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.

Is there a way to group several solids to only accept one light, and a second group to only accept a second light, all living in the same comp?

thanks,
Nope, no way. Neither does AE understand the concept of light exclusions, nor has it true "doubel-sidedness". The latter at least can be achieved using Buenas Depth Cue plugins, but this is the extent of what's doable. So if you can manage to "bake" your projection into images and apply those selectively, you'd have a somewhat simpler solution, but not by much. In the end it will still require a lot of manual intervention.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
vidpat

It should be possible to automate the double-sided flip if you were to put the source for both sides in a precomp, end to end. Then, using Time Remapping, have an expression that advances the time into the next source when the layer's normal is facing away from the camera.

That wouldn't work so well if they are accepting projected images, though. It might be doable in two passes: Set up the rotating layers (as above) with one side black and the other white. Project the image for one source/side. Then swap the white and black sides and project the second source/side. Combine the two passes.

I hope this makes sense, since I'm just throwing out ideas.