Final Cut To After Effects Tutorial Series

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

bradshaw1965

Hi all,

I've started a series of tutorials on moving elements between Final Cut Pro and After Effects using FCP-XML and JSON.

It's available at http://www.creative-workflow-hacks.com/ ... r-effects/

It's a bit of a first draft. I'm still fleshing out some file path issues and working on the scripts, so I'd appreciate feedback on the content and the direction you might like to see the series take.

Thanks,

Dale Bradshaw
creative-workflow-hacks.com
interaktiv

thanks for this!

the main thing i'd like to see is either a step by step of the parsing using that json php file, so that some of us with less php experience can download some files and post them and just run with it...personally i'm at a bit of a loss in that code area, but others in the department here are really good so i have the support i need. others may not.

this is an incredible start, many thanks.
bradshaw1965

thanks for the feedback...

I'm trying to strike a balance between tools for users and information/tutorials for other developers. What I'm thinking about doing is putting the demos together as web apps and keeping the tutorials a little more technical. I'll be posting the next in the series soon and your feeback is really useful.

Thanks again,

Dale
CaptainMench

Dale --

Would you mind just hitting the basics of running the parse script? Is that done in AE? Or with an external thingie?

I think what you are trying to do is brilliant, but I can't seem to get past just reading what you are talking about.

I've tried loading up the .php script in the AE editor but it doesn't seem to like it.

Any help on getting thru these steps?

Thanks

CaptM
CaptainMench

Ok -- I got it all the way to the part where AE IMPORTS the footage... but now it won't insert. I'm getting a line 63 error...

Unable to execute at line 63. AE error: Path is not valid. Path:/applications/Adobe After Effects 7.0/Scripts/Mench/tmp0000001

line 63 in the script I'm using is:

var my_io = new ImportOptions(new File(fileSubstring));

Hmmm

Thoughts?

CaptM
bradshaw1965

Hi CaptM,

Sounds like your getting an invalid path. There is limited path support that I'm working on in the next version of the script. I'm also adding a try/catch construct to the next version of the script. Can you tell me what happens if you replace

var myItem = myProject.importFile(my_io);

with

try{
var myItem = myProject.importFile(my_io);
}catch(e){
alert(e);
}

If you get the same error can you copy and paste the JSON you generated from PHP and send it to me at dale(at)creative-workflow-hacks(dot)com.

Best,
Dale
Dale Bradshaw
Technology Director | Primal Screen
creative-workflow-hacks.com
Atlanta, GA