Punch (alpha 0.0.2)

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

ahettinger

Updated! Download Alpha 0.0.2 here:
http://www.alanhettinger.com/dropbox/punch_mac_002.zip
http://www.alanhettinger.com/dropbox/pu ... ws_002.zip

Fun sample AE project included in the download!

Hey all, so here's a little program I've been working on. It's called "Punch" and it is a tool for people that do lots and lots of versioning, replacing text on stuff like lower 3rds etc. This is an alpha release, so the features are limited, and so far it has only been tested on Windows Vista, Windows XP, and OS X Leopard 10.5.2. However, you can help me test by posting your experiences here!

--

Here's a quick little tutorial:

First off, run the .jar file. The first thing you'll see is the settings tab.

You pick the location of your AE file, and the program generates an expression for you to use in your comp. Once you've set your project location, copy the expression into your AE comp.

The program tries to find your aerender.exe location, but if it's installed in a weird place, you have to set that as well.

Before you save your project, set your comp to render, and set your preferred render settings. Save your project, then close if you want.

On to the Render tab, you plug in your comp name, then fill in the lines with whatever content you want rendered. It will do one render for each line you fill in. You can also pick an output location, and choose if you want each render to go in its own folder or not (i.e. for image sequences).

Once you hit render, it'll start working through your renders, and give each render a name based on the comp and content.

--

This is a pretty basic program right now, but there are lots of other features I'm working on adding:

- Ability to save your punch project
- Ability to add lines (currently limited to 12)
- Ability to do multi-line (currently limited to 1)
- Built in render status instead of launching the CMD prompt
- Possibly auto-detecting comp names, or some workaround to remove that step
- An expression to auto-resize long strings of text based on preference
- Cleaner code (HA!)

Credit to Harry Frank and Lloyd Alavarez for the expression that makes this work!
Last edited by ahettinger on March 30th, 2009, 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.