Update ScriptUI panel after user interaction

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

fusepilot

I would like to show some interactive info about what a user has selected in After Effects before they proceed with executing my script. For instance, say I want to show the selected keyframes time, value, velocity, interpolation, etc... It would then update as the info as the user selects new keyframes. Does After Effects provide this functionality?
MYX_2000

You would want to write a scriptUI pallet. This would make it stay live in the AE environment, (front and center while you are working).

As I understand things, you can not launch a script based on user interactions with AE itself. To get close to your idea, you would probably need to have an 'Update' button so as you worked it would refresh based on your current interactions with said object. But you would have to run it it each time, so it would not be fully automatic.

But being that I am new to this (still under a year), there are possibly things I do not know yet.

But that all said, I am not sure what you are ultimately after, but based on what you said, you just want to show these values before the script continues. So, just toying with ideas here, upon the launch of your UI script, you could write several expressions into the source text of a text which could display all the info you mentioned. You would need a layer expression control so you could 'interactively' select the layer you wanted constant info about. You would probably also slider nearest keyframe to get a valueAtTime(time) if you were targeting a specific time. When you run the rest of the script (some sort of proceed button in the UI), it checks the controls of this text layer, heads to the selected layer and time and reacts accordingly.