Assigning helptips in Launchpad

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

arghfar

Hello all,
First off, I'm new here, and would like to thank you all for allowing me to participate.

Secondly, I'm pretty new to scripting, and am just trying to add a few features to my icons within Launchpad. I know that Launchpad looks for scripts within an assigned folder (instead of assigning what scripts to add to the panel), but what I'd ideally like to do is also assign helptips when there is a mouseover on them. Is there a way to do this?

The reason why I prefer to use launchpad is that I regularly add and remove scripts from these folders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
byronnash

It's as simple as just adding the property.

Code: Select all

yourUIelement.helpTip("your text here")

All the UI stuff is documented in the Javascript Tools Guide found in the help menu of Extendscript.
arghfar

Please forgive me since I'm new to scripting within AE, but the problem I see with that is, that works fine for scripts if you have your scripts set up a certain way (ie. not using launchpad). Unless I'm mistaken.

In other words, adding the line, "Ease_and_wizz.helpTip("This will blah blah ease");" doesn't work when adding it to my launchpad script.

Attached is a reference of how I'm building my AE shelf. I'm renaming my launchpad scripts to Animation.jsx, Workflow.jsx, Renders.jsx, etc. Each one of those scripts is pointing to a different directory, which is what launchpad does. The point of this, is to look for scripts within a designated folder, that will be continuously updated. That said, I need a way to create custom helptips for each new script that gets added to the directory. I don't know whether to add this to my launchpad scripts, or to add it to each individual script within the folder.

Does this make sense? Thanks for your time.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-09-08 at 11.46.55 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-09-08 at 11.46.55 PM.png (41.1 KiB) Viewed 9203 times