Copyrights and NDA's

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

byronnash

I'd like to get some opinions from the people who are scripting for hire. I have a client that I have been doing scripting work for (in After Effects mostly). I've helped him optimize and streamline his pipeline for what he does. I have put together some custom scripts for him that are very specific to his workflow. He wants to set up some kind of contract stating that he owns these custom scripts to protect his considerable investment. I have no problem with this since he hired me to write these for him and they really don't apply many people. I guess he justs wants to make sure I don't go sell his tools/pipeline/workflow to someone in another market. He sent me some contracts to look at, a Copyright one and a Non-Disclosure Agreement. I read them and it seems fairly reasonable but I'm clueless on legal stuff. How do you people approach this issue? Are there any more suitable contracts for people that do this sort of work? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Disciple

Byron,

In my experience it really seems the best to have some kind of legal advice. If this guy is paying you and you need this to be really fair, a lawyer is the way to go.

Alex
hype

i work in the film industry, and everything I do at work, like you, is owned by the company I work at while I create it. NDA's and contracts are standard operating procedure at every single job I've ever had. And always, on the first page, it mentions exactly those things - they own the work I do while there, and I cannot discuss what i'm doing at work.

But I second Alex, maybe ask a lawyer to go over them, just to be sure. But, in the creative industries, they are pretty standard.

sean
if it's not fun, what's the point?
http://www.mackdadd.com
byronnash

I may look into the lawyer deal. I really don't feel like he's trying to screw me, he just wants a little reassurance before he spends a bunch more money on a new script. Thanks for the comments guys.