AE camera to Psunami camera

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

DIGITALmotion

Hi,

I'm working on an animation in which the camera moves across an ocean to a desert island, revealing a book on the shore. I've created the ocean and island in Vue, the book in C4D, and I'm comping them together in AE. I've uploaded a low res' test render to:

http://www.digitalmotion.co.uk/test/island.htm

The client feels the ocean is too choppy and wants a calmer sea, but unfortunately the render times in Vue are far too long for experimentation. I'm also struggling with the Vue interface and would prefer to use Psunami in AE - great looking ocean, easy to use and fast to render!

I've imported the C4D camera into AE and applied the keyframes to my AE camera, but Psunami uses it's own camera. Does anyone know how I can convert the AE camera data: position and point of interest (no rotation keyframes set), to the Psunami camera parameters: X East-West, Y North-South, Elevation, Tilt, Pan, Roll?

Thanks,

Steve.
Mylenium

You could bake the cam by using the Expression to Keyframes keyframe assistant. For the rotation, you could copy the position of the POI to a Null, turn the camera's orientation property off, then apply a lookAt() expression to the orientation before baking. might provide some usable values for copy&paste or pickwhipping in Psunami.

Mylenium
[Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]
DIGITALmotion

Thanks Mylenium, I used the lookAt() expression and pickwhipped the Psunami camera controls as you suggested. I also found a guide on the Digital Anarchy site which provides additional info on scaling the AE universe to the Psunami universe:

http://www.digitalanarchy.com/psunami/tutes.html

I had to experiment with the various values suggested in the guide as I think the type of animation and the camera field of view may affect the suggested scaling factor. I used a Field of View setting of 20 on the Psunami camera and then divided the North-South and East-West values by 30 instead of 35. The Elevation setting was more complicated and became a process of trial and error, although the guide provided a good starting point.

Steve.