Point Control Position Based on Mask Spline Percentage.

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

lilsmokie

I am looking for an expression or script that will create.

A Point Control who slides along a mask spline based on a percentage slider.

For example if I had a Slider Control at 0% the position of the Point Control would be at the beginning of the spline. If I had a Slider Control at 100% the position of the Point Control would be at the beginning of the spline. If I keyframed the Slider control from 0% to 100% the Point Control would travel along the length of the spline.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks for reading.
Josh
Paul Tuersley

Is the mask animated? If not, you can copy the mask path, add a null and select its Position property before pasting, which turns the spline into a position path over 2 seconds. Then apply a Slider Control and Point Control to another layer and use this expression on the Point Control property:

Code: Select all

a = effect("Slider Control")("Slider");
thisComp.layer("Null 1").transform.position.valueAtTime(a);
Then when you animate the Slider Control between 0 and 2 the Point Control will animate along the path.
lilsmokie

I am trying to build a larger script that automatically creates a moving arrow and this is totally what I need to continue.
Thanks.

But is there really no way to access the mask shape information beyond copying and pasting the mask into the position channel?

Would there be a solution if the mask were animating?

Thanks again for looking.
-Josh
Paul Tuersley

Scripts can access the vertices and tangent information for mask shapes, but expressions can't.
But even with a script, I imagine you'd have to somehow use that information to calculate the path to Point Control keyframe conversion, which doesn't sound like fun.

I can't think of another solution, besides not trying to link to a mask shape in the first place.

Paul