Stack AErender tasks

What type of scripts do you need?

Moderator: byronnash

scribling

In DOS, how does one stack a sequence of tasks? I know in Unix I can just use a semi colon and when one task finishes it'll go on to the next, but in DOS the "&" symbol doesn't do anything. If I stack two renders using &, they both fire up at the same time.
davestewart

Easiest to write a batch file I think...

afterfx.exe -r "<your path 1>"
afterfx.exe -r "<your path 2>"
afterfx.exe -r "<your path 3>"

I can only run one instance of afx at a time, so once it finishes it's render and exits, the next afx will start.

Is this right, or am I missing something?
scribling

What I'm look in for in UNIX would look like this:

aerender -project /path/path/Render_project_1.aep ; aerender -project /path/path/Render_project_2.aep

When the first project finished it'd move on to the next.

What I'm trying to do is avoid running several copies of AE.

BTW: If you want to run multiple copies of AE on Windoz. Create a shortcut and alter the "Target" to look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\After Effects 6.5\Support Files\AfterFX.exe" -m

All you need is the space then -m. I have no idea what this actually does but it works great. I've been using it for years.

Warning: When running multiple copies of AE do not trust the open recent projects list.
scribling

What's -r mean?
davestewart

Sorry - I got confused! -r runs a script file.

I thought you wanted to stack up script tasks.
gibraltar monkey

Scribling-

This isn't a script, but, what i normally do in instances like yours is set up the render cue in each of the individual projects, save them, then import all of the projects into one "render project"- the import automatically brings in render cue data from all of the separate projects/ all you have to do is press render.

not as sexy as a command line, but equally as efficient.
scribling

That's where I get into trouble. Because I need my renders to be named the same as the project for version numbers ... all the renders end up with the same name. Not good.

It's no big deal really. I'll just use the watch folder. I just surprised there isn't a way to watch a folder from the command line.

Thanks