Foorage replace

Find out why the . goes before the /

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

Colin Braley

Anyone know how to replace a simple way to replace a layer in a comp with a footageItem.(like what happens when you alt drag a piece of footage onto a layer)? I looked through the scripting guide and can't seem to find a simple way to do this.
~Colin
byronnash

There isn't a good way to do this in scripting. If you can replace the footage source it's pretty easy. But if you want to replace a layer source it gets tricky. You can precompose it in scripting and then put your new item in the precomp, or import it into the comp and make it a child of the layer you want to change. Either way it's sort of messy. Hopefully they will enable that feature in v7.
Colin Braley

Thanks for the info. After reading the Scripting Gude I thought procomposing was the only way to go too but I was hoping one of you guys might have known some method I overlooked
drswoboda

Was(has) there been any method added to v.7 to do this task?

I wish to modifiy several source comps and replace them into a layer that has animation and position information. I appear to have run into the issue discussed here and can't find a way to do what I can do via the UI with the Alt-Drag action.

Anyone have ideas on this? Oh, And I have not moved up to CS3 version yet.

-David

PS. there are also expressions on the layers. . .
redefinery

Colin Braley wrote:Anyone know how to replace a simple way to replace a layer in a comp with a footageItem.(like what happens when you alt drag a piece of footage onto a layer)?
~Colin
hi colin,

if you're using CS3, you can use the AVLayer replaceSource() method.

:jeff