pt_SSA Karaoke Animator

Moderator: Paul Tuersley

arnufle

better :P thx
Glove

Woaw !

v2b3 is amazing ! Congratulations ;)

The After Effects Preset is very useful.
But like I'm newb in AE, I don't really know how to use it...

I tried with the Ifrit Preset, which rox ^^, and I don't know how to edit it, like changing position to the top (by default centered), changing the color of the text before, during and after the karaoke, and the color of the strokes/effect.

Could you help me a little ? Thanks !
Paul Tuersley

The After Effects Preset is very useful.
But like I'm newb in AE, I don't really know how to use it...
The basic steps are:
1. Use the script to apply an existing SSA_Animator preset (either kind).
2. Delete all but one of the resulting layers.
3. Twirl open the remaining layer to reveal the properties/keyframes in the Timeline.
4. Edit the keyframes, add/remove text properties or effects.
5. Press the U key to show just the keyframes.
6. Select all the keyframes and choose Animation > Save Animation Preset.

There are a few other things to be aware of:
a. If you're applying any new text properties, add them to Animator 1.
b. Don't use Text Opacity properties in your preset. Use the layer's main Opacity property instead.
I tried with the Ifrit Preset, which rox ^^, and I don't know how to edit it, like changing position to the top (by default centered),
Move the text layer to the top, press P to view the layer's Position property, click the stopwatch to add a keyframe and include that keyframe in your selection when you save the preset (alternatively you could use the text layer's Text Position property). Just make sure the keyframe isn't earlier in time than the others or it will become the new 'start' keyframe.
changing the color of the text before, during and after the karaoke, and the color of the strokes/effect.
You add the text properties Fill Color and/or Stroke Color (RGB) and keyframe the colors. It should be pretty straightforward, check out the Color Highlight preset for an example. If you want a stroke, make sure it isn't set to transparent in the Character panel before running the script.

Does that help?
arnufle

for you an example with your new script
http://rapidshare.com/files/25421846/testshiro.avi.html
thx paul :D
Paul Tuersley

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing it.

Did you use the CC Composite effect to put the original text back on top of the blur?
ifrittt

Amazing O.O How you did that distort effect?
Glove

OK, thanks Paul !

After a lot of tries (only coz I'm newb in AE I know...) I managed to do a lightning effect that I wanted.

But there is a little problem... I'd like that the "Axe" and "Origine" Value of the Advanced Lightning effect be in "relative" to the current text.

It's in absolute mode, so when I save it and load it with the karaoke script animator, it's always at the same position, the one I made the effect with.

Screen (click to enlarge)

Is it possible to do it in relative mode so I can do it for all the karaoke ?
Paul Tuersley

It isn't possible with the script right now, but I've been thinking about it and have a few ideas.

I should be able to estimate a position for each syllable, using the bounds of the text layer and the number of characters in each line and syllable. The script could add that position value to a Point Control slider, and the animation presets need to include expressions on their 2D properties that link to that Point Control.

I think that it may be considerably more complicated to come up with a solution that allows you to reposition or scale the text layers. Are you ok with it only working properly if you don't move them?

Paul
Glove

OK, so I'll try to do it manually syllabe by syllabe if I find the motivation (if you know a good motivation shop ^^ :lol:).
Paul Tuersley wrote:Are you ok with it only working properly if you don't move them?
I'm sorry I don't understand the question (still not english lol)...

If I use the effect I made, it makes the ligthning effect always at the same position, around the syllabe I made the effect with, for each syllabe, but it does the effect.

I could send you the .aep if you want.

Edit:
I made a test with the first phrase.
The result's here : test_kara_eclairs_PHRASE1.avi
It's boring to edit it syllabe by syllabe LoL.
awayo

Paul, you can use percentage in Selector Properties instead of number of characters to calculate syllabe's polisition. It's easiest
Paul Tuersley

Paul Tuersley wrote:Are you ok with it only working properly if you don't move them?
Glove wrote:I'm sorry I don't understand the question (still not english lol)...
I wasn't very clear, I'll try again.

With CS3, I think I can get the script to add a Point Control effect to each text layer, that contains the approximate position of that syllable in the comp. You can then link to that position value by adding an expression to the Lightning effect (I'll show you how when I get it working).

But if you were to change the position or scale of the text layers after running the script, for example to move all the text to the top of the comp, those Point Control position values would no longer match.

So you would have to make sure the comp was wide enough to fit the lines of text before running the script. And you'd have to put the comp into another comp and do any scaling and repositioning in that second comp. Are you ok with this limitation?
Glove wrote:I made a test with the first phrase.
The result's here : test_kara_eclairs_PHRASE1.avi
It's boring to edit it syllabe by syllabe LoL.
That's really cool, thanks for posting it.
awayo wrote:Paul, you can use percentage in Selector Properties instead of number of characters to calculate syllabe's polisition. It's easiest
Thanks. I think whichever method I use, I'm going to have to convert between number of characters and percentage at some point, so I'll certainly be considering this when I get the time to implement it.

Paul
Glove

Oh yes that's OK I understand thank you and I'm OK for the limitations. Actually I'm already making sure it will be at the right position and wide enought to fit the lines before running the script on a whole SSA.

i've finally finished the karaoke with the lightening effect syllabe by syllabe so I will try it with another effect if you make this function ;)

- nota bene : it's here -
Raziel666

Hi
Congratulations for this magnificent script. I've tried the v2b3, but when I try to insert for example 15 frames of fade in and 0 frames of fade out, I notice that the end time for the layers is 15 frames earlier than normal. Am I doing something wrong?
Paul Tuersley

If you run the script with no fades and compare, is it that the line ends 15 frames earlier than the one without fades, or are they the same length and it just isn't being extended to include the fade? Also, are you using the built-in animator or Animation Preset option?

Paul
Raziel666

For the same karaoke line, I've made the following combinations:
1) Without fades
2) With 15 frames fade in and 0 fade out
3) With 15 frames fade in and 1 fade out

What I got is this (the number show Start Frame, End Frame, Duration)
1) 369 778 410
2) 354 763 410
3) 354 780 427

When I inser 15 frames fade in and 0 fade out, the duration remains the same and the duration is smaller than it should be. If I insert one frame of fade out, then the duration is one frame bigger.
Any ideas?