Like a handycam ... is there something out?

Moderators: Disciple, zlovatt

dsp_418

I'm looking for a script to add the handycam feeling to my camera movement.
The solution at the moment is setting the most important keyframes of the camera animation, then adding several keyframes very close to each other between the main keyframes. In those new keys I modify the z rotation and sometimes the y value. But all this is done by hand, adding keyframes.
I think there should be a faster and more elegant way to achieve that effect via script -

Any help?
byronnash

Have you tried using a wiggle expression on your Position and Rotation?
dsp_418

Thanks for your reply byronnash.
I've tried the wiggle, but it looks too jerky.
What I'm looking for is that kind of movement that you can see on many MK12 works ... when the camera seems to stop focusing on the subject, then it moves a little bit.

Maybe I've got the wrong way to set up the wiggle expression.
byronnash

When you use the wiggle, try very small frequency values. The downside to wiggle is that the frequency is always the same, although you can link it to a slider and animate that.

put something like this on the Camera Interest Position

Code: Select all

wiggle(0.25,20)
The first number is the frequency in second and the other is the amplitude.
Sometimes I will put a "Expression Slider" effect on the layer and then pick whip from the frequency value to the slider value. This allows me to adjust the frequency as needed or animate it getting higher.
dsp_418

Thanks byronnash,
It works fine!

Do you think the seedRandom is useful in this case?
byronnash

I use Dan Ebberts seedRandom expressions a good bit. Sometimes I can get away with just using wiggle() but when that fails I always go to http://www.motionscript.com to work out some tweakable randomness.
dsp_418

Now I'm trying to stop it after some frames ...
Taking a look around over the resources but I haven't still found a solution: I mean, how to stop the wiggle then?
byronnash

If you are using a Slider effect to control the frequency, you can just animate it to "0". I have a project I can send you if you want it. Contact me and I'll email it to you.

Also, I'm going to move this over to the Expressions Discussion forum.